4/20/2009

Beauty and the Beast


We are reminded of two true-isms coming out of Sunday's Miss USA event.

1. Pin-ups are Americans, too. Carrie Prejean is a heroine. We know she is beautiful on the outside. But she is equally beautiful on the inside. Breathtaking, I'd say. Imagine the courage it took to face down this bitter, bating pageant judge. And bathe yourself in the clarity and authenticity of her words. Carrie would not throw her values under the bus. She could have weasled her way out of it. It would have been so easy. But she stood up.

"When asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger, whether she believed in gay marriage, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, said, 'We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised.' "

2. Pinheads are still pinheads, and a good many of them reside in California. This one is "personally saddened" by the dynamic that makes humanity possible.

Keith Lewis, who runs the Miss California competition, tells FOXNews.com that he was "saddened" by Prejean's statement.

"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," said Lewis in a statement. "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."

No comments: