12/09/2008

More on Gov. Blagojevich

From WLS-TV's reporting on the unsealed affidavit involving Gov. Blagojevich (italics in orignal, bold is my emphasis):

Later on November 3, 2008, ROD BLAGOJEVICH spoke with Advisor A.

By this time, media reports indicated that Senate Candidate 1, an advisor to the President-elect, was interested in the Senate seat if it became vacant, and was likely to be supported by the President-elect. During the call, ROD BLAGOJEVICH stated, "unless I get something real good for [Senate Candidate 1], shit, I'll just send myself, you know what I'm saying." ROD BLAGOJEVICH later stated, "I'm going to keep this Senate option for me a real possibility, you know, and therefore I can drive a hard bargain. You hear what I'm saying. And if I don't get what I want and I'm not satisfied with it, then I'll just take the Senate seat myself." Later, ROD BLAGOJEVICH stated that the Senate seat "is a f-ing valuable thing, you just don't give it away for nothing."

This story is just begging for a media circus and I can think of four easy, simple questions to ask:
  1. Who is Senate Candidate 1?
  2. How close is he/she to President-elect Obama?
  3. What is Senate Candidate 1's role in the quid pro quo explicitly demanded by the accused?
  4. What, if anything, did President-elect Obama know and when did he know it?
If there can be a media circus over Republic Windows & Doors then certainly there ought to be one when an advisor to the President-elect and potential Senate replacement is, intentionally or not, sucked into a corruption case. If there isn't, I'll be unsurprised but disappointed.

No comments: