12/08/2008

More on Gas Taxes

In a job interview a few years ago, when asked my dream job, I said: editorial writer for the Wall Street Journal. Get paid to blather my opinions once a day in a consequence free manner? Where do I sign up?

Little did I know the Washington Post would be a better choice. Take a look at this editorial about raising gas taxes. Here's my post on the topic from last month. The Post, more artfully than me (and really, that's why they're paid to do it and I'm not) made the point that nothing will address emissions, national security and energy supply problems as quickly, directly and effectively as higher gas taxes.

Here's a grand, post-partisan bargain: raise gas taxes and index them, and capital gains taxes, to inflation. A more investment friendly tax policy you're unlikely to find under any administration.

No comments: